Tuesday 29 December 2015

Nollywood actress speaks on her dream man and piracy in Nollywood


Kiki Omeili is a Nigerian actress best known for her antagonistic role in the 2012 feature film “Married But Single” as Titi Haastrup. The Anambra-born doctor cum actress speaks with Esther Odili about her journey to stardom, dream husband, piracy and what she would like to change in Nollywood.


Why did you choose acting in spite your medical training and when did you start professionally?

The choice to act was borne out of my passion for the arts, even though I’m trained in the sciences. I started acting professionally in August 2011.

Your life as a doctor cum actress, presenter. What has been your experience?

It’s been challenging but rewarding. It hasn’t been very easy but we thank God for all the progress made so far. Some people initially didn’t want to give me a chance as a doctor. They didn’t believe I could do it.

How do you manage both professions?

At the moment, I don’t actively practice medicine. But i’m involved in health works and i try to give back to humanity as often as I can.

When was your experience first time on set?

First time on set was for the TV series ‘‘Behind the smile” directed by Tunde Olaoye. The experience was quite worthwhile. Whenever we finish shooting a scene, he would say “next scene”. So that gave me the confidence that I was doing good.

What movies brought you to limelight?

I would say “Married but single” and “Lekki housewives”.

What would you consider before picking a script?

I would consider the story, if it has a message, the diversity of the character. I like to play different roles and not get stuck doing the same thing repeatedly. I like to push and challenge myself as a fast rising actress.

You’ve gained much recognition and your works has received wide acceptance, what’s the secret?

I’d say its hard word, perseverance and total dedication to what i do.

Can you describe the movie industry of the past and its present state, any improvement so far?

Definitely! There has been a lot of improvement. People take the business of film making more seriously now and are actually trained in the art of film making. They better understand the dynamics attached to making a film. In the past, there wasn’t a lot of attention to detail but there is now.

What’s your opinion of the enormous migration of artist in the movie industry into politics, other sectors and businesses?

I would say if you’re capable of doing more than one thing and using your popularity for a good cause, then you should go for it.

You featured more in TV Series to Movies, why?

Not necessarily. I do both in equal measures. Actually at the moment do more films than TV series. There’s no special reason just take on projects that have a good story.  As long as it’s a good story and it’s a good character that I can adequately interprete, it doesn’t matter whether it’s a movie or a TV series.

You are known for best interpretation of antagonistic roles, how do you balance such with your life off the scene?

ohhh I do not only play antagonistic roles, but those seem to be the roles that people enjoy for whatever reason. As soon as I’m off set, i’m off set and back to my normal life.

What’s the major challenge confronting Nollywood presently?

Nollywood is confronted with a lot of challenges. There’s the challenge of funding. People are not willing to invest in film and without good funds you cannot make good films. Then there’s the challenge of epileptic power supply, there’s the issue of piracy.

What’s that thing you would change in the movie industry if you were to be in a position of authority?

I would put in place a very strict penalty for pirates. They shouldn’t be allowed to reap where they didn’t sow.

Your special moments?

Any moment when someone works up to me appreciating what I do and tells me how they learnt so much from. Any movie I do is a special moment to me.

Looking back, would you say you’ve realised your dreams?

To a large extent, yes. But there’s still so much work to do.

What unique features do you possess and what distinct you from others in the industry?

I’m absolutely dedicated to whatever I do.

What have you gained and lost being a celebrity?

I would say I’ve gained influence and obviously lost privacy.

Your closest friends in the industry and how well do you relate with your colleagues?

I have a very good relationship with my colleagues. Actors understand each other. Understand the joys, the struggles and the pains of being an actor. So there’s generally a good rapport among us when we are together.

Describe Nollywood movies and its significance to the society?

Nollywood movies are typically movies that tell stories that the average individual can relate to. And they are significant to society in that they teach moral lessons and make people aware of things that they may ordinarily not have taken into cognizance.

How do you cope with the competition in the industry?

By carving a niche for myself, making sure I stand out.

What are the factors that give rise to piracy in Nollywood as a whole and what role should the government play in curbing piracy?

Piracy is borne out of greed. People wanting to reap where they did not sow and making money off people’s hard work. The government should strengthen the Nigerian copyright commission and ensure that harsh penalties are in place for pirates.

What’s the Nigeria of your dream?

The Nigeria of my dream is one Nigeria, a Nigeria where there’s no tribalism. A Nigeria where there’s constant power and good roads, a Nigeria with a thriving economy, where corruption is a thing of the past.

Any plan of becoming a producer in the future?

Definitely. Sometimes you have to create opportunities for yourself and do things your own way

Interesting things your fans don’t know about you?

I like singing and I know the lyrics of songs

Advise for young and upcoming actress looking up to you as a role model?

They should work hard and don’t give up. Believe in themselves, believe in their dreams and they shouldn’t let anybody force them what they cannot do.

Compare and contrast Nollywood and Hollywood?

They’re both movie industries but they tell different kinds of stories and Hollywood has a lot more capital at their disposal to make the kinds of movies they want to make.

Words for your fans and what they should be expecting from you?

There’s a lot of works in pipeline to look out for Lekki wives 3, gbomo gbomo, express, the trials of Igho, to name a few.

Your ideal man?

When I see him, I’ll recognize him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

»»Please Drop Your Comment on this Post!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Subscribe to GistandJobs Updates

Best Blogger TipsGet Updates Via Email: Email rss Enter Your Email And Click Subscribe

Delivered by GistandJobs